Monday, April 10, 2023:: Launch for 2023 competition (online portal opens)
Wednesday, April 19, 2023: Webinar to discuss CBL changes for applicants
Wednesday, May 31, 2023: Deadline to submit online Information Form (open to all eligible institutions)
Early to Mid-July, 2023: Institutions selected to submit full proposals notified
Friday, September 29 2023: Deadline to submit full proposals
Late November/Early December 2023: Selected institutions notified of grant award
March – June 2024: Disbursement of first award payment
The Clare Boothe Luce Program recently hosted a webinar discussing changes to the program. If you were unable to attend but would like a link, please reach out to CBL@hluce.org for access.
Eligibility & Restrictions
Institutions should review the following guidelines to determine if they are eligible to apply and for detailed information about the program:
- Grants are made to four-year degree-granting institutions, not directly to individuals. Applications should only be submitted by those with the authority to apply on behalf of the institution.
- Catholic institutions with strong science programs are especially encouraged to apply. According to the terms of Ambassador Luce’s bequest, at least 50% of the Program’s awards go to Roman Catholic colleges or universities.
- Minority-Serving Institutions and institutions with high percentages of Pell Grant-eligible students whose institutional mission and/or strategic plan are in clear alignment with CBL Program goals are encouraged to apply.
- Medical, behavioral, and social science fields are excluded.
- Preference is given for support of women in the physical science and engineering fields in which women are the least well represented.
- Recipients in all categories must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Current CBL Grantees - An institution with a CBL grant may not submit a new application before its current grant has been officially closed.
- Waiting Period - Institutions with a prior CBL grant may not apply for a new grant in any category until five years after the award of their most recent Clare Boothe Luce Program grant (i.e., institutions that received CBL awards in 2019 or later are not eligible to apply for the 2023 competition).
Please review the Invited Institution Program Guidelines below.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions.
Institutions interested in participating in the CBL Program Invited Institution competition must apply through our online application portal. Please do not attempt to use the online portal until you have reviewed the instructions.
Clare Boothe Luce Program grants are awarded through a two-step process:
Step One: Information Form Application
The Information Form application requests evidence of the college or university’s strength in science and engineering, evidence of its commitment to Ambassador Luce’s vision of increasing the representation of women in these areas, and other statistical information.
To preview the 2023 Information Form application questions, you may download a PDF copy. Please note, however, that applications will only be accepted through the online portal.
Before You Begin
- Review the Information Form review criteria (download below): Please review the ratings rubric to understand how your application will be graded. We encourage schools to tell compelling and unique stories about their STEM culture and how they envision improving upon that culture for women.
- Choose a single award category: You will be asked to select one of the following: Undergraduate Scholarships, Undergraduate Research Awards, Graduate Fellowships, or Professorships.
- Create an account via our online portal. Please allow sufficient time to complete this process and to submit the Information Form. Detailed instructions will guide you through the submission process (download below).
Submission Deadline: The 2023 Application must be uploaded through the online portal no later than 4:30 p.m. ET, Monday, May 31, 2023.
Step Two: Full Proposal Submission
Only institutions explicitly invited by the Selection Committee, following review of Information Form applications, may participate in this phase of the competition:
- Institutions invited to submit full proposals will be notified late-May to early-June of the competition year.
- Detailed instructions for submitting proposals via the online portal will be provided when institutions are notified.
- CBL Invited Institution Program Guidelines will be provided with the invitation to submit a proposal.
For general information about the CBL program and/or the application process, please thoroughly review all of the information available on this website, including linked program documents and FAQs.